Point Betsie Lighthouse, Frankfort Michigan
Historic Benzie County Lighthouse - www.pointbetsie.org
The oldest standing structure in Benzie County is the Point Betsie Lighthouse built in 1858. About five miles north of Frankfort and west of Beulah, the lighthouse stands adjacent to a public beach, consequently, it is easy to get to and has become one of the most photographed lighthouses in America. Standing at the southern end of the Manitou Passage, the light remains in use as a navigational aid. The lighthouse is open for tours on weekends from Memorial Day to Columbus Day.
A Few Facts:
Betsie Point and the Betsie River were named the Sawbill or Merganser by the Indians.
The lighthouse was built in 1857-58. The light first shone on October 20, 1858 and has been in continuous service for more than 150 years.
The light sits 52 feet above the lake and has a range of about 15 miles.
The original lens and its 1891 replacement were of the fourth-order Fresnel design.
The current light system features a modern acrylic lens from New Zealand.